NU 0-2 vs North Dakota

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

NU 0-2 vs North Dakota

Post by le »

John: Thanks for the updates and game review. I know these are MONEY games for NU, but wouldn't we have a more reasonable chance of actually BEATING a ECAC program? The other argument is, one has to play the best to be the best....

Anyways, did any NU players standout other than Veltri in goal ? We have five new transfers and some freshmen who put up big numbers in the juniors. Good to hear the ND announces spoke highly of Niagara.

https://purpleeagles.com/news/2021/10/8 ... riday.aspx
Shane Ott and Ryan Naumovski both found the back of the net in the third period for the Purple and White.

Game Recap

1st Period
• North Dakota scored three times in the opening frame, including a power-play goal to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission.
• Niagara had two power-play chances in the opening frame. Ryan Nuamovski nearly put the Purple and White on the board during Niagara's second power-play but the shot went wide.
• Niagara blocked seven shots in the first while starting goalie Chad Veltri made eight saves.
• The Purple Eagles won eight of the periods 18 faceoffs.

2nd Period
• Niagara's offense seemed to settle in during the second period, recording a total of 10 shots, with eight on goal.
• While Niagara was on its third power play of the game, Albin Nilsson nearly executed a backhanded shot but Driscoll was able to make the save and keep NU off the board.
• Walker Sommer, Niagara's leading goal scorer from a year ago, nearly got one past the UND goalie in the second period but Driscoll
The period came to a close with UND extending its lead to 5-0 over the Purple Eagles.

3rd Period
• Shane Ott put the Purple Eagles on the board with his first collegiate goal. The freshman collected a rebound and rifled the puck into the back of the net from the right side faceoff circle.
• Moments later, Niagara's Ryan Naumovski went across his body for the Purple Eagles' second goal of the period.
• Niagara outscored and outshot the Fighting Hawks in the final period of play, 2-1 and 11-9, respectively.

Niagara Notes
• Veltri finished the contest with 22 saves, with eight of those coming in the first period.
• Niagara finished the night with 13 blocked shots, 24 faceoff wins and 1-for-5 on the power play.
• Naumovski's goal was the eighth goal of the junior's career. The Shelby Township, MI, native now has 32 career points.
• Ott is the first freshman to score in the season opener for the Purple Eagles since Brandon Stanley scored in the first game of the 2019-20 season.

Up Next
• Following the series finale tomorrow night Niagara will head to Happy Valley for a two-game series at Penn State on Oct. 21-22.
Eagle
Purple Eagle

Re: NU at North Dakota - Friday Night

Post by Eagle »

North Dakota 6
Niagara 2

GRAND FORKS, ND – The Purple Eagles will look for a series split with the Fighting Hawks after falling in their season opener Friday night to North Dakota by the final score of 6-2.

https://purpleeagles.com/news/2021/10/8 ... riday.aspx
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

Hi Le:

Unfortunately, I do not know the Niagara players by number so I am hard pressed to comment on individual play and effort.
I can say NU was tentative in the first period, however skated and passed better as the game went on and the 3rd period was our best.

Regarding our schedule: announcers stated last night that NU's motto is too play anybody, anywhere.

In addition, these challenging out of conference games should help recruiting. As a transplanted Long Islander to the midwest, my boys grew up playing in the midwest. They identify with midwest college teams. As NU recruits nationally, playing the North Dakota, Michigan and Notre Dame will help recruiting!

Very proud of NU!
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

Game 2

Down 0-1 after 1. NU playing well. Shots are even. Shibel in goal. Welcome to college hockey! First shot from ND top shelf: no chance.

NU is playing hard and we have an even game after 1 period.

Go NU!
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

Game 2 ND 3 NU 0 after 2

Good effort by NU! Penalties/home job hurt NU!

Sanderson who will join the NHL after the ND season! Sanderson had a high lite goal for ND 3rd.

Sibell playing solid. We have 3 strong goalies in Sibell, Veltri and Corson.

Start the 3rd on a PP! We need short passing to create quality shots.

Captain Harper was between period quest! Represented NU well!

Go Nu!
soccereagle81
Duck

Post by soccereagle81 »

Game 2 Final ND 4 NU 0

Really good weekend for NU!

Nu competed hard: hustled hard: and showed well!

Weakness: forward skill set and PP.

Strengths: goalies, D, team hustle

I am hopeful our offense comes together as the season unfolds!

Lammers is a strong leader!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Lost 4-0 tonight.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

Appreciate the constructive input by soccer!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

They identify with midwest college teams. As NU recruits nationally, playing the North Dakota, Michigan and Notre Dame will help recruiting!
Good point Soccer John. We went 0-2 over the weekend against ND which was probably expected. I guess it's the price AHA teams have to pay to play the "bigs" for exposure and money. At some point, I wonder if the AHA (now with full scholarships) will close the gap and become competitive with the other leagues on a regular basis. I know the gap is closing, but how much longer will it take ?Maybe the new transfer rules will help as well.
Weakness: forward skill set and PP.
Yup, seems to be an ongoing issue with Purps especially when Stendlund was hurt. We just lack the firepower and overall skill set on our forward lines.
Sibell playing solid. We have 3 strong goalies in Sibell, Veltri and Corson.
"In his collegiate debut, goaltender Jake Sibell (0-1) made 21 saves. He made nine saves in both the first and second periods."
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Related to the above discussion:

The AHA went 3-11 over the weekend in non-conference play. Decent wins by Griffs over Penn State, AFA over Michigan State and Bentley over OSU.