NU receives "17" votes in Top 20 Poll

Discuss Niagara Sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: AIC at Niagara : 7PM / USCHO Story

Post by le »

Man. How does NU get shafted in such a disparity in penalties (5-1) while playing on home ice ? Look for NU to get a few PP opps in the 3rd period. Make up calls.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

We get a quick PP goal but then give up an AIC ES reply.
5-3 with more scoring to come!
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

NU survived 6th penalty...still 5-3 w only a little over 10 min remaining.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Really 6 penalties on NU and only 1 on AIC? Unheard of in D1 hockey or all of hockey for that matter. Beyond bizarre. Can’t blame Veltri trying to defend 12 mins of PP time .
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

Final AIC 6-3
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Gotta get ‘em tomorrow night after a disappointing opening night at Dwyer.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Home Opener : Niagara falls to AIC

Post by le »

Decent turnout at Dwyer last night; of the 903 fans in attendance 324 of them were Niagara students...I still don't understand the gross disparity in penalties with six called on NU while only two for AIC. I'm sure Lammers will give the zebras an earful before the game tonight... BTW, the local Gazette has gone TOTALLY SILENT on Niagara Hockey. The current sport page resembles a Bills game day program, bandwagon jumping on steroids while they ignore their two local D1 programs. Sorry man, allocate some of your Bills ink to the Purps, they deserve it! When the Pats were racking up rings, the two local papers (Herald & Glob) still gave the local HE teams ink, even Holy Cross in Worcheter.

Note to Jim, I'll be at a football game tonight so I will not be watching.

Niagara Notes:

• The Purple Eagles had 903 fans in attendance Friday night, the most for a home opener since head coach Jason Lammers' first year at the helm when 1,020 attended the home opener against Robert Morris.
• Of the 903 fans in attendance 324 of them were Niagara students.
• Ryan Cox and Jay Ahearn have now scored a goal in each game this season.
• Chad Veltri made 24 saves. The senior falls to 2-1 between the pipes this season.
• Niagara won 44 of the games face offs, led by 14 from Cox, 13 from Pineo and 12 from Albin Nilsson.

https://purpleeagles.com/news/2022/10/1 ... o-aic.aspx
ClevelandEagle
Eagle

Post by ClevelandEagle »

324 students doesn't sound like much to me.
People should put their heads together and figure out how to make it "cool" to go to a game at Dwyer.
Live music. games, give-aways. Dorm contests. It's not that hard.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Post by phillyeagle »

Niagara has changed. 300 students may be half of the students on campus for a weekend. Ha!
Truthful
Purple Eagle

Post by Truthful »

Having losing seasons year after year makes increasing attendance a real challenge . In addition , NU is more of a commuter school these days and NU has a disproportionate female to male ratio . Working with the youth hockey leagues and local schools might be a good way to market the program in the community . I would also encourage professors who teach marketing and business courses , to challenge their students on ways to increase attendance for both hockey and basketball . At some point NU has to be creative and willing to think outside the box . It's obvious whatever " strategy " they're currently employing " ain't " working .