Fortnight For Freedom

Non-athletic Niagara discussion

Fortnight For Freedom

Postby 5-hole » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 am

I was reading my daily email update from National Catholic Register and it occurred to me to post the link below on the community conversation board. As grads of Catholic school Niagara, I think this topic - this initiative of the USCCB - is one that we should all be aware of, participating in and supporting. This particular event was held in the Boston area and included some excellent participants.

The “contraception mandate” of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services poses a risk to people served by Church entities.
That was the consensus of Cardinal Seán O’Malley of Boston and lay Catholic leaders who spoke about religious-freedom issues during a nationally televised forum.
“Religious liberty is our first freedom on which all others depend; it’s not a right granted by our government — it’s a right that precedes our government. Religion is an essential aspect of the common good,” said the cardinal Monday evening.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/fo ... 2012-06-30#ixzz1zHvgCZez
New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Re: Fortnight For Freedom

Postby le » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Related, a Connecticut Archbishop and other regional Catholics expressed their outrage over the HHS mandate because of Mr. Robert's newly discovered activism .

The Most Reverend Henry J. Mansell, Archbishop of Hartford, on a radio program last week accused the government of "trampling religious freedom" by keeping the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on the books. Catholics say the law, upheld by the Supreme Court last week, goes against their religious beliefs. R

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2012/07/ ... 653001.txt
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Fortnight For Freedom

Postby 5-hole » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:35 pm

AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL AMERICANS WAS READ AT 8:30 MASS AT OUR CHURCH THIS MORNING ... but this was signed not just by Catholic leaders, also many Lutheran leaders and others.

No government should tell religious organizations either what to believe or how to put their beliefs into practice. We indeed hold this to be an unalienable, constitutional right. If freedom of religion is a constitutional value to be protected, then institutions developed by religious groups to implement their core beliefs in education, in care for the sick or suffering, and in other tasks must also be protected. Only by doing so can the free exercise of religion have any meaning. The HHS mandate prevents this free exercise. For the well-being of our country, we oppose the application of the contraceptive mandate to religious institutions and plead for its retraction.

FOR FULL TEXT: http://steadfastlutherans.org/?p=20763

REMEMBER, TODAY IS NOT JUST THE FOURTH OF JULY ... IT IS INDEPENDENCE DAY

STAND UP FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!!
New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Return to Community News