THINGS I LEARNED LIVING IN THE SOUTH

Non-athletic Niagara discussion

Postby 5-hole » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I received this as an email from a friend ... then thought it might help explain any cultural gap between me and my Northern friends, as well as that certain line in my forum signature that so bothers Purp1. ;)

A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.

There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.

There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.

If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

"Onced" and "Twiced" are words.

It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!

"Jawl-P?" means, Did you all go to the bathroom?

People actually grow, eat and like okra.

"Fixinto" is one word. It means I'm going to do that.

There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.

Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.

Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.

The word "jeet" is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'

You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.

"Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural.

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.

You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car.

You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco and ketchup.

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.

Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss(first name) or Mr.(first name)

You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

You know what a hissy fit is..

Fried catfish is the other white meat.

We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!

You understand these jokes and forward them to your Southern friends and those who just wish they were from the SOUTH.
New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Re: THINGS I LEARNED LIVING IN THE SOUTH

Postby the return of dekes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 am

not just purp1 that finds your sig offensive along with most of your opinions ...guess when you were at NU they stopped teaching vincentian values and way of life this is coming from someone who is stuck is this southern hell of rednecks, poor education, and intolerence
the return of dekes
Hawk

Postby le » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 am

Well some opinions seem to be changing if the " progressive" NY Daily News and Long Island's Newsday have moved away from the incumbent.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby 5-hole » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Ahh, dekes ... I'm not sure which of the three lines you find offensive (real men wear PURPLE?) but I do not really care either, as I find your comments about Southerners to be highly offensive - so maybe we call it even, eh?

First, allow me to convey my perspective on "sig lines" and the community forum. IMO (be it humble or arrogant), sig lines are simply a place to make an identifying statement about yourself or your beliefs, if so inclined. You or anyone else can feel free to add your own sig to your own profile. If I don't care for it, then so be it - then I know a little bit more about you, that's all. I can like it or not. If it is 180 degrees from my perspective, so be it. As for the community forum, my approach to this is that it is a place to discuss any non-sports opinion from politics to what's on your playlist ... without getting personal. And certainly my sig line is not a personal shot at any individual.

But I do feel the need to point out the very hypocrisy of your statement in this thread. Actually, I always get a laugh when someone plays the "intolerance" card ... it usually means that you do not agree with someone else's opinion, therefore that person (or identified group - in this case "Southerners") are not tolerant. Talk about stereotyping!! (which is actually okay - we all do it ... I stereotype those from the northeast as elitist liberals who look down on those from other parts of the country ;) ). But dekes, let me ask you ... how much time have you spent in the South? What do you really know about people of the South to make those charges? If I had to guess, I would say have spent little time down here.
(FYI, I would match the education that my boys received against any they could have received in the enlightened northeast.)

I fully understand Vincentian values and way of life - and I try to live it. To me, that does not mean supporting a huge, over-reaching government that believes it has every right to reach into my pocket to take my hard-earned money to waste and spend on so many things that I do not believe in, in the name of being charitable and helping others. I would love to get into a long diatribe here but suffice to say that I believe in service and helping others through private organizations (such as Catholic Charites, Children International, our parish and Niagara University, to name a few) and personal acts rather than through government bureaucracy.

BTW, I will be happy to explain the genesis of each of the statements in my sig if you or anyone else would like to know. Just ask.
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Postby 5-hole » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Hey dekes ... y'all need to go to my original post in this thread. Scroll down. 4th line from the bottom ... and that what your post was! :lol:

Also - I am not "stuck" here in the South. I am here by choice - and by the grace of God.
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Postby 5-hole » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 am

Well, the election is over ... and the Chicago thug won again ("by dividing the country" says DEM pollster Pat Cadell). I am sure that makes dekes happy ... and apparently some 60.6% of New Yorkers. So maybe now I offer my explanation of why "I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God"

Yes, it is about the politics and the culture of the two places. When this country elected a virtual unknown, untested community organizer as our President back in 2008 and NYS supported that with a >60% vote for him, I was so embarrassed to be a native New Yorker that I wanted to come up with some way of letting anyone and everyone know how I felt. I came up with that line as a tag line to my emails and then added it to my sig. It suggests a stark contrast between the two cultures - the South standing very solid for conservative values while NY and the rest of the Northeast stand for liberalism and all that encompasses ... high taxes, big government spending, etc. but more importantly liberalism embraces beliefs that directly contradict our religion and our beliefs, e.g., abortion, gay marriage and religious freedom (among others). Are these Vincentian values? Are they the values that our bishops endorse?*

Obama has been a disaster and his re-election can very much be attributed to low voter IQ (note that I am not calling people stupid; however, I do suggest that many have no concept of what they are doing when it comes to voting) and Obama's success in dividing the people of this country against one another. But these people have figured out the art of plunder ... and there are apparently a few more more of "them" than "us".
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville
It's been a good run in this country, eh?

I was hoping against hope that I could drop that line after tonight but it is not to be. New York once again endorses the worst President that this country has ever known with over 60% of the vote. The line stays because I am still embarrassed to be a NY native. I am proud of the culture and politics of my adopted South where I have now lived for half my life.

* http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/ins ... -obama-le/
http://www.cdop.org/post/PostArticle.aspx?ID=2656
From Bishop Jenky's letter:
"Today, Catholic politicians, bureaucrats, and their electoral supporters who callously enable the destruction of innocent human life in the womb also thereby reject Jesus as their Lord. They are objectively guilty of grave sin."
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:06 am

People are hot on both sides and I would expect the bickering to continue for the next 4 years. 0 did not win tonight nor did R lose but "polarization" and the Big Media who skillfully controls the message are the true winners !
le
Purple Eagle

Postby 5-hole » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am

le, just listening to Morning in America (Dr. Bill Bennett). He had a caller from Michigan who says she made a lot of calls for Romney and her experience with women voters was that they were all afraid that Romney and the Republicans were going to take away their contraception ... huh!!! Hard to believe that this lie from the Dems and Big Media actually resonated. It goes to my comment about low voter IQ.
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 am

It is alarming the media successfully defined correctness and the vibe of the hip hop culture as the two most defining issues with women and othe groups rather than substance.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby Georgeanna » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 am

What I like the most that is weather ))!!
Georgeanna
Egg

Next

Return to Community News