Catholicism in the South

Non-athletic Niagara discussion

Catholicism in the South

Postby 5-hole » Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 am

Every once in a while I see an article that reminds me how little some people realize about the South. It has been denigrated, albeit just by a few, on this board and on that other board ... at times referred to as hell-hole or some such term. (I recall reading such a comment on that other board during a discussion on the merits, or lack thereof, of our bball commitment for the return game v Northwestern State University). Anyway, thought I would post this just informationally - many seem ill-informed about the South and are surprised to learn about Catholicism in the South.

New data shows that some of the fastest growing dioceses in the country are deep in the U.S. South.
The third fastest developing diocese is Atlanta, which saw the number of registered parishioners explode from nearly 322,000 in 2002 to one million in 2012 — an increase of more than twofold ...

Atlanta is not alone. Charleston has seen a 50% increase in parishioners over the last decade. Charlotte grew by a third, as did Little Rock. The Diocese of Knoxville, established just 25 years ago, is now the 25th fastest growing in the nation — and would rank near the top if those official figures counted as many as 60,000 unregistered Hispanic congregants, according to a diocesan official.

Dioceses like Knoxville stand in stark contrast to former Catholic strongholds like Boston and Philadelphia where parish consolidations, school closures, and dwindling priests are the norm.

“Instead of us closing parishes and closing schools, we’re doing the opposite. We’re in total growth mode,” said Deacon Sean Smith, chancellor for the Diocese of Knoxville.

Lessons for the North
Catholics in the South say their experience holds lessons for their Northern counterparts. Wheeler says Southern hospitality has also rubbed off on local Catholics.

“I think that is something that is missing from many parishes in the North,” Wheeler said. She noted that some of her extended relatives in the Northeast have moved to Protestant churches due to a lack of hospitality in their local parishes.

Hain believes that if Catholics in other areas were as open about their faith as Southerners are, there would be a resurgence in the Church.
“Let’s worry less about offending others,” Hain said. “Let’s worry more about practicing our faith.”

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pr ... 2013-05-11 12:32:01#ixzz2SzyILPFs
New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE
I'm your huckleberry
5-hole
Purple Eagle

Re: Catholicism in the South

Postby Karla Marburger » Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 am

Religion will always be a complicated topic. Let's just respect each other religion. Who knows, we're just praying to the same God.
Karla Marburger
Egg

Return to Community News