NU Drops OT game to Holy Cross

Discuss Niagara Sports

NU Drops OT game to Holy Cross

Postby le » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 pm

NU (4-12-3) takes on Holy Cross at 4:00 PM on LCTV. The link is listed below. Don't forget, this team was picked to finish first or second in most pre-season polls. Also, NU advanced to the AHA Championship game last season.

There is ample time to make a run in league play, sooner rather than late later would be nice...Yup a grand total of 300 in the house last night. Awful attendance figures. Any scuttle as to the reasons for the poor to average play this season after showing such promise last year?

https://livestream.com/LCTV20/sports
le
Purple Eagle

Re: Cross @ NU : 4:00 PM - LCTV

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:05 pm

I can't pinpoint any reason for the total turnoff of interest in the program. The Arena looks great. It still is cold in there and this year the music is incredibly LOUD! That alone would turn me off if I wasn't a season ticket holder. I was also wondering if the fact the team (for the most part) lives off campus has any bearing on the student support. It's almost as if the team is a bunch of "dayhop" students . When I was there the team members were in the dining hall, hanging around the Student Center etc. There is little coverage in the BUFFALO NEWS . I e mailed my concern about that to the sports editor, he said that because interest has waned for Niagara and Canisius they don't fee l the interest merits more extensive coverage, such as having a preseason preview for the teams. As this season goes on I see his point and can't argue.

I was also wondering if the fact that the stands are empty affects the play of the team. Going from an atmosphere of pure electricity and sell out crowds at Penn State ( and Minnesota and Denver) to a cold, empty home arena has to effect the team , it HAS to.

I have also harped on this in the past, that the lack of local over the air coverage of games on local tv hurts ; especially us dinosaurs who are not computer literate, or have a problem paying for streaming services. Back in the glory days of the first decade of this century a local tv station carried Niagara Sports Network coverage of Basketball and Hockey (it was the year they played Michigan and Denver). Every now and them someone seeing me in a Niagara jacket or hat would approach me, especially about the hockey team and how they played hard against the top teams. That coverage is lacking and the lack of local broadcasting in lieu of 3 or 4 Corporate Media Companies controlling broadcasting just exacerbates the situation IMHO.

Maybe msn can opine on this sometime.

Anyways enough of my whining, Got to get ready for the 4 pm game.
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Efkay. Thanks for the frank discussion of NU Hockey at this juncture in the season. Since most media outlets in WNY refuse to cover NU and CC hockey , the only way to break this negative cycle is to win . Obviously as I suspected ,the Bills and Sabre’s really suck most of the air out of the ballon. There is simply very little interest in this market unless NU or CC advances to the NCAA’s. I get it , it’s a pro town unless SU or Michigan plays downtown or something. Too many years of very mediocre performance has really negatively impacted interest in this program . We need to win.
le
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Veltri starting today. Another intimate crowd today
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Yeh,
300 last night!
Doesn't pay the lighting bill.
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby jhart » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Sokay off his own shot midway thru 1st...NU 1-0
jhart
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Short handed goal by Billings from Stanley . NU 2 HC ,0
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

2 ZIP NU after 1
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Postby NewEnglander » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pm

I had mentioned about flooding the stands with freebies just to create some atmosphere but the response was revenue is desperately needed and they can't afford to give away tickets at the expense of losing some paying customers. Valid argument there. However people in the stands do purchase food and souvenirs too. Maybe a one time marketing offer can be done to fill the stands. Get a donor to raffle something good off. Your chances would be far greater than any lottery. The rink does look better on TV now I must admit.
NewEnglander
Purple Eagle

Postby efkay2u » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm

HC scores on e breakaway. 2to @1
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS