Relief coming for student athletes?

Discuss Niagara Sports

Relief coming for student athletes?

Postby Suge » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Looks like the NCAA have a plan in place for spring sport athletes. It'll be interesting to see what it is and how it plays out. Might be working on winter sport athletes as well.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 9856924672
Suge
Purple Eagle

Re: Relief coming for student athletes?

Postby le » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 am

What can they possibly do for the winter sports athletes, especially for the seniors? It's crystal clear to me that all post-season tourneys and championships have been cancelled. Will they consider granting seniors another year of eligibility ?
le
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 am

I tried to run some numbers as to how many senior student athletes are REALLY effected and the number is not that great. There are 350 D1 schools with about 3 seniors per team or 1050 seniors. Sixty eight schools go to the NCAA’s or about 20%, so 210 seniors didn’t get to play in this year’s tournament. However if you consider what % of schools have appeared in one of the last three years’ tournaments I wouldn’t be surprised if that number does not drop by 2/3 (or greater) to 70 seniors or less who lost the opportunity to play in a NCAA Tournament over their college career. I don’t think it is worth the effort.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:14 am

Mickey, I tend to agree. At least the winter sports athletes played probably 90% + of their games during their career. For most kids, it is time to get out in the real world, get a job and move on with life. Even for the Spring sport athletes especially from a mid major, how many will return for another year if they get their degree and have plans set for a job or graduate school.

My question is what these tournament cancellations will cost the NCAA and what impact this will have on the budgets of the mid majors that depend on this revenue source for their sport programs.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am

Former NU AD Mike Jankowski mentioned that the MAAC Conference derived close to "two thirds" their total gross income from the MAAC Tourney (Albany). For smaller leagues, the hardship of lost revenue is greater due to the lack of TV contracts. When I was retiring last year, I found a note of his in my desk discussing revenue sources for the league.
le
Purple Eagle

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS