1972 NIT MEMORIES / Video of NU's great moments ?

Discuss Niagara Sports

1972 NIT MEMORIES / Video of NU's great moments ?

Postby efkay2u » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Your memories?

I was a Senior in High School really sick with the flu for about a week prior to Easter Vacation so I was able to watch these games including the weekday game . WHAT A THRILL being an incoming Freshman at Niagara : https://twitter.com/NiagaraMBB/status/1 ... eS7B4gUEbo
efkay2u
Purple Eagle

Re: 1972 NIT MEMORIES

Postby MICKEY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

To be young again. Somewhere on that tape is the back of my head sitting at the press table, there was hair on it then. I worked for MSG responsible for college basketball ticket sales and was there for every game. Those were great times. I remember Frank Layden joking at the pre game press conference, “everyone knows who Maryland is, most people think Niagara is a spray starch”. Do they still make it? I guess it got its name because of the mist.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 am

Drafted during Vietnam, I was stationed at Ft. Sill, Ok during that time. Lucky enough to catch a plane home for a long weekend in North Jersey and attended the 2 games in the Garden.,The St Johns game was great, not so much Maryland. Lenny Elmore ate us up. Many NU fans back then still favored the NIT to the NCAAs, so playing in NYC there was big. Basketball made NU fans feel big time in many respects. NU Administrations over the years never realized that sense of loss felt by many alums.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby MICKEY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:46 pm

I’d love to see a tape of the Niagara-Penn game at Princeton in the NCAA’s. In those days only the Final Four was allowed to be played in a off campus arena. For hockey fans somewhere I have a tape of the Niagara-New Hampshire game but it’s on an obsolete format. Some day I’ll get it transferred over and have some copies made to pass around or get the university to put it out.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Niagara-Penn Box Score

Postby MICKEY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm

MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby phillyeagle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Thanks for posting info on the Penn game. We had a couple hundred drive from Niagara to Princeton for that game . We really did not fear Penn even though they were rated in the top 10 for most of the season. Murphy came out firing never cooled off. They tried everything and could not stop him .
Church was a somewhat under appreciated player for NU but his game was a key for NU. He was a only 6’6” JC transfer and even then played against many players 2-4 inches taller. His vertical leap was amazing and he out rebounded most.
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Postby le » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm

I was only a sophomore in high school in 1972 so my exposure to NU basketball was limited being a kid from NW CT. I do remember seeing a photo of a few NU college students dribbling a basketball through the streets of NYC heading to the Garden. Being from CT, if one followed sports , everyone knew Murphy was from Norwalk CT and played at Niagara U. Yes, NU Hoops had a big time feel to it from my perspective in the early to late 70’s. My two older cousins also attended NU which shaped my views on NU as well.
le
Purple Eagle

Hi Coach!

Postby MICKEY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Ironically I just got a call from Frank Layden and I told him to check out the NIT clip. He and his bride are doing well in SLC having returned from Spring Training in Arizona. So he’ll be checking out the site tonight. So feel free to pass along your best wishes.
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Postby NU1971 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 pm

I was working in NYC at B. Altman & Co. in 71-72. I got to see the first three games live at the Garden and had to watch the final game on TV in the store, as I had to work. Pretty sure it was a Saturday afternoon. Beating St. John's was great in the semi's (I think) but vs. Maryland it was a slaughter. Tom McMillen at 6'11" and Elmore at 6'9" were just too much to overcome. Both had NBA careers. That NU team was fun to watch with Al Williams at point. He was sneaky fast but had no outside shot.

One day in the phys ed. building, that had three courts side-by-side, we were playing pickup ball and Williams was hanging around and working out. It must have been pre-season. He was going to play in a game with us, but Layden didn't let it happen. That would have been humiliating and fun at the same time.
NU1971
Eagle

Postby le » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:55 am

Hey guys, thanks for all of your memories of the NIT at the Garden as many of us were too young to really remember much in the early 70's. I may have watched the game on TV, but don't remember. I do recall UM's Tom McMillen and Elmore etc...

Hey Mick: Did u ever find the back of your head with full hair ? Let me know, I'll watch it again.

I do have a copy of the NU-Rider Championship game from Buffalo on DVD (where can i upload? U tube ?). I did have a copy of the NU-UNH Hockey game as well, but I can't find it. I was at the NU-Siena Championship game in Bport when NU secured the auto bid with T. Lewis, Charon , Benson E, Garrsion etc. Unfortunately, I never taped it. Does anybody have that copy ?

I'll try to upload the NU-Rider Championship game on Vimeo or U Tube later on today.
le
Purple Eagle

Next

Return to NIAGARA SPORTS