MAAC Basketball Overview /UHART to downgrade to D3

Discuss Niagara Sports
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

MAAC Basketball Overview /UHART to downgrade to D3

Post by MICKEY »

Very nice job by Guy F., Administrator of the Iona Board, with the current status of the in and outs of MAAC teams.

Page Down to bottom:

https://ionahoops.proboards.com/thread/ ... ac?page=11
ppittin
Pigeon

Re: MAAC Basketball Overview

Post by ppittin »

WOW---look at Canisius. What's going on over there? No recruiting?
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Post by MICKEY »

Canisius just added Tahj Staveskie, a 6’0” guard out of Spire Academy from Sandusky Ohio as their first commit of the year.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Siena : Transferring Out.
Jordan King - 6' SG - Soph - 12.2 ppg & 1.6 rpg
Bennett Kwiecinski - 6'8" F - Freshman - 0.3 ppg and 0.3 rpg.
Jalen Pickett - 6'4" PG - Junior - 12.9ppg, 6.3 rpg and 4.8 apg.
Dana Tate, Jr. - 6'7" SF - Junior - Dismissed from the team.
Gary Harris, Jr. - 6'7" SF - Sophomore - Transferred right before the start of the season
Colin Golson, - 6'7" PF - Freshman - 5.2 ppg and 3.1 rpg

Another question is, what is going on with Siena ?
jhart
Purple Eagle

Post by jhart »

Sounds like the coach should be out with that amount of defections!
Unheard of!
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

I think the complexion of college basketball as we knew it, is over . The Power 5 programs will just sit back and "cherry pick" the mid's based up this new transfer rule. I were a MAAC coach, I would adopt "Iona's strategy" of recruiting transfers, 5th year grads and Juco's. Why even bother recruiting high caliber four year players out of HS, they are going to transfer in all probability.
NU1971
Eagle

Post by NU1971 »

Wouldn't want to be a mid-major coach these days. Develop a kid and lose him in 1-2 years. Iona and Rider land 3 star transfers. Impressive. When's the last time Niagara got a legit 3 star player? Can't recall, though a very few have played very well over the past 10 years.

Glad to see we replaced the departing PG with more size. We've had too many guards under 6 feet and none have been gifted, that I recall.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

UHART to downgrade to D3. What a joke. Could be a trend in the new post Covid world at small D1 schools with enrollments declining combined with little if any support from the "ivory tower" Board members . Uhart has a 6000 enrollment ...What a joke !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcement about the Future of Athletics

University of Hartford

Over the past year, the University’s Board of Regents has been engaged in thoughtful and strategic discussions about providing an exceptional academic and campus experience for all students. There is incredible momentum at UHart—in the classroom, across our sports, and in our community. Our Board and leadership recognize the need to continue to make intentional investments in our students and in areas like access and affordability, in-demand academic programs, residential life facilities and experiences, athletics, student support services, health and wellness, and career preparation. All of our 6,507 students and many of their families are investing in their future and we take that investment to heart.

With this in mind, it is appropriate that our leadership would explore and evaluate resource allocations of significance across the University, including intercollegiate athletics. To this end, an on-campus task force was convened last spring, which included coaches, staff, faculty, alumni, and a member of the Board. In addition, a nationally recognized intercollegiate athletics consulting firm provided the Board with informed options to achieve long-term and sustainable excellence in our athletics program.

After more than a year of analysis and discussions, the Board of Regents has voted to begin the multi-year process of transitioning the University's intercollegiate athletic programs from Division I to Division III. The Board believes Division III's approach to intercollegiate athletics better aligns with the University’s mission and goals of creating exceptional academic, co-curricular, and wellness experiences for all students. The University will officially file its intent to move to Division III with the NCAA in January 2022. If approved, the University will work with the NCAA on the reclassification process, in preparation for active membership no later than September 1, 2025. During the multi-year transition to Division III, all student-athlete scholarships and coaching contracts will be honored.

A shift to Division III will allow the University to make significant investments in a number of areas that will benefit all students, including career preparation; student support services; and academic, recreation, and residential facilities. These investments will allow the University to build upon the strategic growth that has defined UHart for several years, including new in-demand undergraduate and graduate academic programs, and significant increases in fundraising and partnerships. In the fall of 2021, the 60,000-square-foot Francis X. and Nancy Hursey Center for Advanced Engineering and Health Professions will open, housing new, specialized, and technology-rich facilities for growing programs in engineering and health professions. A new Center for Student Success opened in 2019, centralizing support services and providing a home for professional academic advisors for all first-year and transfer students. Other improvements and renovations have taken place in the Harrison Libraries, Barney School of Business, and the Gengras Student Union.

In its deliberations, the Board acknowledged the significant positive impact generations of Division I student-athletes and athletics alumni have had on our institution and thanked them for the ways in which they represent the University in and out of uniform. However, we understand that many members of our community will be disappointed by this decision and may have questions. The University has posted an initial timeline and frequently asked questions to provide additional information.

Our student-athletes, coaches, and athletics staff have dedicated their time, talent, and energy to represent UHart on the field or court, often making sacrifices in order to do so. We are grateful that they chose to compete as Hawks and know that intercollegiate athletics will continue to contribute to the strength of our shared community.

Thank you for your continued support of the University of Hartford.

Sincerely,

David A. Gordon '75
Chair, Board of Regents

Gregory Woodward
President
MICKEY
Purple Eagle

Re: MAAC Basketball Overview /UHART to downgrade to D3

Post by MICKEY »

How many years has Hartford been in D-1? If they were one of the original University Division teams I could see the alumni being very upset but they are not, so I don’t think anyone over 50 really cares. Most D-3 schools have strong academic backgrounds and have relied on that to entice strong enrollment numbers. Hartford does not have that going for it. I’d love to see the numbers they used to make this decision.
In other Connecticut sports news Bobby Valentine is stepping down as AD at Sacred Heart to run for mayor of Stamford. I think he can win.
le
Purple Eagle

Re: MAAC Basketball Overview /UHART to downgrade to D3

Post by le »

Mick. I think the Hawks went D1 shortly after I graduated high school in 1975. Vinny Baker played for UH in the late 80’s. Even the Rotford Courant questions the so-called savings of $9.2 million per year . The “Koran “ concluded the new UHart prez wanted this outcome as a recommendation when he ordered the report from the consulting firm. Seems like an inside job by the New Prez to
cut sports for his selfish interests. You may want it downplay this , but this could be a new trend going forward in the post Covid landscape.