Mihalich update

Discuss Niagara Sports
msm29
Purple Eagle

Mihalich update

Post by msm29 »

Our Jerry Sullivan on Joe Mihalich, recovering from a major stroke as he gets ready to return to Niagara:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/ ... fea35.html
phillyeagle
Purple Eagle

Re: Mihalich update

Post by phillyeagle »

A Thanksgiving gift reading a very nice article on a great guy.
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Hey, great story. Good to see JAM back up on his feet fighting again. Wish him the best, he was always good to me when I would bump into him over the years. I was pissed at him back when he took our 2 best players to HU, but it's a business - I get it. I would have done the same. We really wish JAM the best !
No one ever did it better on Monteagle Ridge, where Mihalich built a perennial contender. He raised his three boys there and raised up a program. In his heart, he never left.

“That’s home,” said Curtin, like Mihalich a Philadelphia native who grew fond of Niagara. “We always say, if we spent the rest of our lives up there, we’d be fine.’ I love the area. I still do. Coach would still say he’s more of a Western New York guy than a Philadelphia guy.

“He threw himself into that community. He loved the people who lived up there and worked with him. And he could coach a little bit, which also helps.”

Next weekend, the Niagara people get a chance to tell Joe Mihalich they were the lucky ones, to embrace him once more, and to love him back.
Bilbo81
Pigeon

Post by Bilbo81 »

Ive never met JAM unfortunately, but seems like a very nice and decent guy who produced a competitive and very entertaining brand of basketball. Glad to hear he is doing well
le
Purple Eagle

Post by le »

Another good story re JAM. I recall when he as first hired at Niagara, he mentioned I was the first alum to congratulate him on his new job. I said, " man that's not a very good sign since I'm not local and live freakin 450 miles from campus." He replied, "yeah believe me there is a ton of work to be done here." He was eternally grateful to Niagara for giving him the opportunity to coach at a D1 level. He mentioned he was passed over for literally dozens of jobs after spending "17" years as a Lasalle assistant. He said the closet he was to a HC job was with Siena when he was the runner-up to Louis Orr. JAM never really trashed Siena because someone on the Board or the AD put a good word in for him when he applied for the NU position. JAM never forgot the opportunity NU gave him and always enjoyed playing in Albany even though the MAAC Championship eluded him at the TUC.